Making a GIF can be fun, but a lot of people aren’t sure how to make one. Here’s our handy step-by-step guide, made by our outreach co-ordinator Helen King. GIMP is an open source image manipulation software, which can be downloaded for free on their website at www.gimp.org. Once you’ve got it on your computer follow our instructions to make a fun and visually exciting GIF:
- Select File Menu > Open as Layers > Select all images you want to be in the GIF > Open
- In layers tab order your images > The GIF sequence will start with your bottom layer and run through each layer bottom to top. (I have only used two layers but you can use more)
- Select Filters from main menu > Animation > Click Optimize for GIF
- To view GIF > Filter > Animation > Playback
Press the ▶ button to start GIF.
5. To save GIF > Select File > click Export as
- Name your GIF and choose folder > Select File Type > Click GIF Image
- Select ‘As Animation’ > Select ‘Loop Forever’
To change speed between each image change the delay Click Export
And now you have your GIF!